Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pretensions of Cleverness

Funny that I just read Ted Chiang's excellent novelette a few days back in catching up on Hugo nominees, for looky here, now he gone and won the Nebula! Darned greedy, I says, som' dem writers! :-) It's a well-deserved win. In old news, the winners were:

NOVEL - The Yiddish Policemen's Union , Michael Chabon (HarperCollins)
NOVELLA - "Fountain of Age", Nancy Kress (Asimov's Jul 2007)
NOVELETTE - "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate", Ted Chiang (F&SF Sep 2007; Subterranean Press)
SHORT STORY -"Always", Karen Joy Fowler (Asimov's Apr/May 2007)
SCRIPT - Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro
ANDRE NORTON AWARD - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling (Scholastic)

I've almost finished the first draft of a new story I've been working on since last week, a few hundred words to go. Then, in accordance with my new ideas on personal craft, I'll be revising, editing, revising and tweaking over the next week or so.

This is SuperGeek fun:



A ton of great speculative fiction is newly free online (including Baxter's "The Last Contact.")

Am I pretentious when I write reviews of fiction? How about when I write my own stories? No better way to find out than to read Hal Duncan's two recent insightful-as-always posts on pretentiousness and more pretentiousness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typically isn't one deemed "on fire" when they get the dance steps right?!?! Very fun interview. =0)

Alvaro Zinos-Amaro said...

I'm too busy taping bacon to my cat to know for sure. Actually, I'm just typing those words in the hopes of getting more clicks. Bacon On Cat. Bacon On Cat! :-)

Anonymous said...

Funny - although you have to have a cat to tape bacon to it. Hey! I have a cat!!! ;0)