Monday, February 18, 2008

LRSF # 18, Always, Karen Joy Fowler

Opening:

How I Got Here:

I was seventeen years old when I heard the good news from Wilt Loomis who had it straight from Brother Porter himself. Wilt was so excited he was ready to drive to the city of Always that very night. Back then I just wanted to be anywhere Wilt was. So we packed up. Read more...

Capsule: Preliminary Nebula Award Nominee. Immortality in science-fiction is a theme as old as ... well. Karen Joy Fowler brings us here a quiet, heartfelt meditation on it that while not offering anything terribly true still reads very finely and plays against our expectations. I really enjoyed the moments of ambivalence, the tone of the first-person narration, and the sense of communal life described and how it dissolved. A tale about personal choice and belief to linger on in the mind.

No comments: