Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Name in Asimov's

I received the August 2009 issue of Asimov's Science Fiction in the mail today. I haven't read any of the stories yet, but I did manage to read some of the non-fiction pieces. Including Robert Silverberg's "Adventures in the Far Future II," in which he continues to recount his quest to find foreign editions of his works from far and wide around the globe. There are some fascinating tidbits of international culture and publishing lore in the piece, and I can't imagine that fans of SF or readers interested in the publishing world that wouldn't enjoy it.

Throughout, Silverberg mentions by name individuals who have helped him amass this extravagance of mostly (at least for folks less world-traveled than he) exotic and unpronounceable titles. That includes moi.

It's a little surreal, when I think back to the days I first gobbled up his books and stories as a teen. But if the world of SF weren't ever surreal, what would be the point?

No comments: