Sunday, December 21, 2008

Five Seconds Closer

I've been practicing 3-mile, 2-mile, 1-mile and 0.5-mile intervals as part of working towards my Goal, the 7-minute mile. I realize the 7-minute mile is itself a very average goal -- being in good shape should mean running it in 6 minutes or under. But I gotta start somewhere, right? (Once I hit 7 I will set the next goal). I mean, I'd rather set myself goals that don't require a $700 billion bailout when I don't meet them. In any case, I had reached 7:30 and finally today showed a measure of progress, hitting 7:25. Five seconds closer, and now "only" 25 seconds away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I ran on our track team, it being both that I was (and am) female and only having run for the past year, my best time for the mile was 7 ms. 40 secs. I ran however two miles in 8 ms apiece, so I did not feel too bad. I also ran in an area where a man who had set out to be a ripper murderer was circling and looking for victims. My school thought I was quite heroic; but I felt like a dismal failure being unable to stop this lunatic from murdering an area girl I had known. It made running for the girl's track team far more tragic than it should have been.

Alvaro Zinos-Amaro said...

Wow, Karen, that is quite a story! Thanks, in any case, for the implicit encouragement.