Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fruitless Recursion

The first issue of this journal devoted to discussing works of SF criticism has just been published, and with it my review (which you can read on-line for free at the preceding link) of Breakfast in the Ruins by Barry N. Malzberg. The other reviews (including one by Paul Kincaid on The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu) are certainly also worth your time.

I'm excited about this, as it's the first review I've received payment for.

Despite the mostly poor reviews, I'm really looking forward to the new X-Files movie (which I'll try to catch tonight) and "want to believe" I'll enjoy it. Returning to the X-Files universe is a treat -- and besides, Ebert did give it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

I recently caught the expertly assembled documentary GONZO: THE LIFE AND WORK OF DR. HUNTER S. THOMPSON, currently at 87% on RT, and which could turn out to be one of the best docus of the year to see theatrical release. I remember watching the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with some high-school buddies when it originally came out in the theaters in Munich in '98, and some of them were scratching their heads. If you want to learn more about the man behind that bizarre excursion, you have to catch this.

Oh, and it's my birthday today :-)

No comments: