Sunday, December 30, 2007

Guaranteed

Welcome to the First Post of the rest of my blog posts.

If you're receiving this, it's because I've taken the liberty to add your e-mail address to my blog subscription. If you'd like to be removed, simply shoot me an e-mail back and let me know (sniffle sniffle).

I'm intending to write blog entries more consistently going forward and thought that having them sent to all of you would make things more fun.

In the past I haven't always done a good job of being responsive to all of you, my friends, and having friends scattered across various continents does tend to make things a little challenging. So, hopefully, this will provide a more-or-less consistent forum for interaction, in which I get not only to lull you to sleep or blow your eyeballs (I wouldn't presume to mess with your minds just yet), but also to hear back from ya in the form of comments etc.

My blog entries are supposed to constitute some kind of informal record of my life. What is that life? Well, for one, I am looking for the universal human experiences, as refracted through all of the idiosyncrasies of one particular personality, one collection of thoughts and feelings.

From a young age I have found myself making choices somewhat outside of the norm (as do all of you, on occasion, which is one of the reasons I prize your friendship), and I wish to share what goes on behind the surface. Let us break bread together, and drink wine, and share the spirit, as best we can.

But more than that: It has been said that “It's not the events of our lives that shape us, but our beliefs as to what those events mean.” (Tony Robbins). It’s also been said that “Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.” (John Lennon). And so on. Let me, then, share some of my beliefs, and therefore my life, through these words; let me share some of what has happened and is happening, not in the least what I have or had planned for.

As is often the case, Thoreau comes to mind. He wrote: “Here is life, an experiment to a great extent untried by me.” Let my blog entries provide a measure of this experiment, never a failure or success, but simply an attempt to be.

No comments: