Thursday, January 1, 2009

Writing and Reading Goals 2009

In 2008 I set myself the goal of writing a certain number of stories (twenty). I'm changing this approach in 2009, to account for the fact that I also enjoy writing non-fiction, and that since story lengths fluctuate so much, a fixed number of stories don't really reflect a discipline of writing (unless you write 50 in a year).

So my writing goal for 2009 is to write 250,000 words.

Looking at my total wordcount for 2008 this is ambitious. But it'll be fun to give it a shot, and I won't be disappointed if I don't hit the 250k mark. I'm also pretty sure I'll write more by attempting to reach it than by not, so I can't really go wrong.

I'll post my writing stats regularly in blog updates titled "\ Monkey Business \" (yes, I anticipate a lot of typing).

Readingwise, I'm going to aim for between 30 and 40 books. This is less than the 50 I aimed for in '08, partially to account for more time spent writing, and also because I may tackle a couple of books that will be denser and thus require more time.

Off we go.

No comments: