Monday, March 17, 2008

Einstein Lane

Great fun in Rutgers/NY!

My three friends from University, whom I hadn't seen in four years, remained largely unchanged, and we were all in fine spirits.

Thursday night we walked around Rutgers in search of food (late at night) and I ended up getting the largest tuna sub I have ever seen--it was about four times larger than a normal sub.

Friday was NYC day. Much walking, from Penn station on 5th, Times Square, Empire State Building, St. Patrick's Church, also Central Park, great late lunch, then the Strand bookstore (18 miles of books), then a massive Barnes & Noble, down 7th and back to the train. Pretty impressive acrobatic break-dancing as we walked out of Central Park. It was a full day.

Saturday morning was Princeton village, the Institute for Advanced Study (look, there's Einstein lane! Look, there's Maxwell lane!), nice lunch, and then Princeton campus (look, Nash lived there!). Saturday afternoon was preparations for my friend's engagement/birthday get together later that same day: and then it was upon us, guests starting to show up at around 6 pm and all the way through 10 pm, part-ay time!!! It was awesome, a really eclectic mix of about 40 guests, from all walks of life and nationalities. Food was tasty, and I found unexpectedly enjoyable conversation. Our friend Carlos made some delicious, authentic tortilla-de-patata. For the record, the carrot cake clearly oven over the cheesecake. And how do you order veggie pizza when you're buzzed and it's really late? Tell them you want "every veggie, just everything!" At about 3 am my buddies decided to play rugby in a nearby park and then strip to their underwear and jump into the adjacent river. I chilled at home while they got chilled. After much conversation and merrymaking we called it a night around 5 am.

And as of this time, I still have not found any evidence to support the claim by my friend Marcos that Sartre was voluntarily or involuntarily homeless for four years. Sorry bud!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was an eventful trip. It was too bad I got to meet you on Saturday and not on Thursday! :-) I'm glad you had a good time!