Monday, February 18, 2008

LRSF # 13, Unique Chicken Goes in Reverse, Andy Duncan

Opening: Father Leggett stood on the sidewalk and looked up at the three narrow stories of gray brick that was 207 East Charlton Street. Compared to the other edifices on Lafayette Square--the Colonial Dames fountain, the Low house, the Turner mansion, the cathedral of course--this house was decidedly ordinary, a reminder that even Savannah had buildings that did only what they needed to do, and nothing more.


Capsule: Preliminary Nebula Award Nominee. The fascinating, delightful premise is well-developed and the story, overall a captivating read, is fun. It's been receiving quite a bit of attention and high praise. At the risk of casting myself out of whatever readership community I was attempting to belong, I have to confess that from a stylistic viewpoint, I didn't enjoy it much. Maybe I missed something?

No comments: